Fairfield City Council
Background about the Office:
- Candidates for Fairfield City Council are elected in odd year General Elections.
- Fairfield City Council members are elected either at-large (city-wide) or by ward.
- There are three at-large city council seats, and four ward seats.
- The at-large seats are on the ballot in 2021.
- Each ward seat is on the ballot in 2019.
- Each term is 4 years. (R.C. 733.09)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (R.C. 733.09)
- The salary for this office is, $9,600.00 per year as reported by Fairfield City (2017).
- At Large Members:
- Chad Peter Oberson - term expires 12/31/2017
- Mike Snyder - term expires 12/31/2017
- Bill Woeste - term expires 12/31/2017
- Ward Members:
- 1st Ward: Bob Myron - term expires 12/31/2019
- 2nd Ward: Craig Keller - term expires 12/31/2019
- 3rd Ward: Debbie Pennington - term expires 12/31/2019
- 4th Ward: Tim Abbott - term expires 12/31/2019
What are the requirements to run for Fairfield City Council?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Fairfield City.
- Be a qualified elector of the City for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date they file for office or are appointed (City Charter. Art. XI, §11.02 (A))
- If running for a Ward Seat, candidates shall be residents of the ward for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date they file for office or are appointed during their term of office. (City Charter. Art. XI, §11.02 (A))
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
How do I run for Fairfield City Council?
- Complete petition form 3-O. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Required signatures. (City Charter § 10.01)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures.
- If running for a Ward Seat, signatures must be from electors within the ward.
- If running for an At-Large Seat, signatures must be from electors within the city.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the General election. (R.C. 3513.251, 3513.261)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
- Pay filing fee by check or with exact change of $45.00. (R.C. 3513.10, 3513.261)
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.