Mayor of Hamilton
Background about the Office:
- The Mayor of Hamilton is elected every four years in odd year General Elections.
- This office is on the ballot in 2021.
- Each term is 4 years. (OH Const. Art. XVIII §7; R.C. 733.02, 733.24)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (OH Const. Art. XVIII §7; R.C. 733.02, 733.24)
- The salary for this office is $16,245.00 per year as reported by Hamilton City (2017).
What are the requirements to run for Mayor of Hamilton?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Hamilton City.
- Be a registered elector of Hamilton City.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
How do I run for Mayor of Hamilton?
- Complete petition form specific to Hamilton City available at the Butler County Board of Elections.
- Required signatures. (H.C.C. Art. 16.02)
- Collect between 100 and 200 signatures
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 75 days before the date of the General election. (H.C.C. Art. 16.02)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.