Mayor of Fairfield
Background about the Office:
- The Mayor of Fairfield is elected every four years in odd year General Elections.
- This office is on the ballot in 2017.
- Each term is 4 years. (OH Const. Art. XVIII §7; R.C. 733.02, 733.24)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (OH Const. Art. XVIII §7; R.C. 733.02, 733.24)
- The salary for this office is, $9,600.00 per year as reported by Fairfield City (2017).
Current Elected Official:
- Steven Miller - term expires 12/31/2017
What are the requirements to run for Fairfield City Mayor?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Fairfield City.
- Be a qualified elector of the City for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date they file for office or are appointed (City Charter. Art. XI, §11.02 (A))
- Be a registered elector of Fairfield City.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
How do I run for Fairfield City Mayor?
- Complete petition form 3-O. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Required signatures. (City Charter § 10.01)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the General election. (R.C. 3513.251, 3513.261)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
- Pay filing fee by check or with exact change of $45.00. (R.C. 3513.10, 3513.261)
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.