Oxford City Council
Background about the Office:
- Candidates for Oxford City Council are elected in odd year General Elections.
- Oxford City Council members are elected at-large (city-wide).
- There are seven at-large city council seats.
- Four at-large seats are on the ballot in 2017.
- Three at-large seats are on the ballot in 2019.
- Each term is 4 years. (R.C. 733.09)
- Each term begins on the third Monday following the election. (Charter Section 2.04)
- The salary for this office is $3,200.00 for council members and $3,800.00 for mayor per year as reported by Oxford City (2017).
Current Elected Officials:
- Robert L. Blackburn - term expires 11/26/2017
- Kevin McKeehan - term expires 11/26/2017
- Michael Smith - term expires 11/26/2017
- Edna Carter Southard - term expires 11/26/2017
- Stephen F. Dana - term expires 11/24/2019
- Walter Ellerbe, Jr. - term expires 11/24/2019
- Kate Rousmaniere - term expires 11/24/2019
What are the requirements to run for Oxford City Council?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Oxford City one year prior to filing a petition.
- Be a registered elector of Oxford City.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, 1, Art. XV §4)
How do I run for Oxford City Council?
- Complete petition form 3-O. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Required signatures. (City Charter Art. IV §9.03)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the General election. (R.C. 3513.251, 3513.261)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
- Pay filing fee by check or with exact change of $45.00. (R.C. 3513.10, 3513.261)
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
Non-incumbent candidates must file with the Ohio Ethics Commission no later than thirty days before the general election. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b)) Incumbent candidates must file by May 15th. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(a)).
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.