Background about the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- There are two State Senate Districts in Butler County, including the 4th and the 7th Districts. See the District Maps for more information.
- The 4th Senate District will be on the ballot in 2020.
- The 7th Senate District will be on the ballot in 2018.
- Each term is 4 years. (OH Const. Art. II, §2)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (OH Const. Art. II, §2)
What are the requirements to run for State Senator?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the 4th or 7th Senatorial District. See slip page Check what district you live in.
- Be a registered elector of the 4th or 7th Senatorial District.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
- Reside in the district for one year immediately preceding the election.
How do I run for the State Senator?
- Complete petition form 2-F for party affiliated candidates or form 3-G for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Required signatures: (R.C. 3513.05, 3513.257)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures for major party candidates
- Collect between 25 and 75 signatures for minor party candidates
- Independent candidates should call Candidate and Ballot Services at (513) 887-3700, ext. 3 for signature requirements.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for state level office must file within seven days after the filing deadline either a Declaration of Filing Day Finances (Form 31-W) or the Waiver of Declaration of Filing Day Finances (Form 31-AA), whichever is applicable. Failure to do so may result in your removal as a candidate on the ballot, even after the Board has otherwise certified your candidacy. (See, R.C. 3517.109(D)).
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
A candidate must file a candidate’s financial disclosure form within the deadlines set by the Ohio General Assembly’s Joint Legislative Ethics Committee.
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.