Background about the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- This office will be on the ballot in 2018.
- Each term is 2 years. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §2)
- Each term begins on at noon on January 3rd following the election.
- There is only one United States Representative from the 8th Congressional District. To view a map of Ohio's Congressional Districts, click here.
- The salary for this office is, $174,000.00 per year as reported by Executive Order 13655 (2013).
- Warren Davidson - term expires 1/2/2019
What are the requirements to run for U.S. Representative?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the State of Ohio.
- Be a registered elector of the State of Ohio.
- Be at least 25 years of age. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §2)
- Must be a U.S. citizen at least seven years prior to election. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §2)
How do I run for U.S. Representative?
- Complete petition form 2-E for party affiliated candidates or form 3-F for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for partisan primary petitions before circulating your petition to prevent any errors that might disqualify you from the ballot.
- Independent and nonpartisan candidates should use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures for major party candidates
- Collect between 25 and 75 signatures for minor party candidates
- Independent candidates will need to collect 1% of the total number of votes for Governor in the district at the last Gubernatorial election. Contact the Board of Elections at (513) 887-3700 for more information.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petitions.
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for Federal office must file with the Federal Election Commission.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
File a candidate’s financial disclosure form, once a candidate has raised or spent more than $5,000 in a campaign cycle, with the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.