Background about the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- There will be one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2018. The other seat will be on the ballot in 2022.
- Each term is 6 years. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §3, Am. XVII, Am. XX§1)
- Each term begins on at noon on January 3rd following the election.
- There are two United States Senators from Ohio.
- The salary for this office is $174,000.00 per year as reported by Executive Order 13655 (2013).
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the State of Ohio.
- Be a registered elector of the State of Ohio.
- Be at least 30 years of age. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §3)
- Must be a U.S. citizen at least nine years prior to election. (U.S. Const. Art. I, §3)
- Complete petition form 2-C for party affiliated candidates or form 3-D for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for Partisan Primary Petitions before circulating your petition to prevent any errors that might disqualify you from the ballot.
- Independent and nonpartisan candidates should use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Collect between 1,000 and 3,000 signatures for major party candidates
- Collect between 500 and 1,500 signatures for minor party candidates
- Collect between 5,000 and 15,000 signatures for independent candidates
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before bringing your petitions in to file.
All candidates running for Federal office must file with the Federal Election Commission.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
File a candidate’s financial disclosure form, once a candidate has raised or spent more than $5,000 in a campaign cycle, with the Senate Select Committee on Ethics.
Call Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.